Monday 20 August 2012

Are You OK?

Depression can hit us all


I know this is a sports blog and normally the topic I write about is something that whilst we consider it important as sports fans, at the end of the day they really are just games. Now of course the results of our favourite sports teams impact our mood and even can impact the mood of an entire community, city or country and thus can become quite important beyond just the game. At the end of the day however, sport, along with the arts, is something that is supposed to enrich our lives without being the be all and end all. It’s the cherry on top of the sundae rather than the sundae itself.

I write this today after another famous person took their own life in film director Tony Scott. It has nothing to do with sport but it’s a topic that is very close to my heart and I felt compelled to write about it. I also really hope you not only read this, but also pass it on to others to read and not just so I can get my reader stats up, but because this one is important.

To people I meet in the real world, I make no secret of my own battles with mental health issues, namely depression, anxiety and mild OCD. It’s something that I knew I had for many years, but only at rock bottom did I admit it to my family and finally seek the help I should have been getting since I was around 14. The reason it took so long for me to reach out and admit I had a problem was because I, like many other people out there (especially men), felt like I was simply being weak and that these sorts of things are just part of life we all deal with and to man up and get over it.

Because we can’t read the minds and feelings of everyone else, we don’t actually know that the way we feel is not how we are supposed to feel. There is no “control group” to compare ourselves to because we only know what we feel. But then, even once we realise that perhaps we have a problem, too many of us don’t give mental health the respect it deserves compared to more physical illnesses.

The idea that we just need to “toughen up and get on with it” is still very prevalent in society, even with the increased understanding we have of the seriousness of mental illness. But the key word in the previous sentence is the word illness... as it’s exactly what it is. When we are sick, we go to the doctor and no one ever questions that, but when someone feels mentally ill there is still a stigma around seeing a doctor for that. This is a huge problem. Mental illness is not only a legitimate medical condition, but it’s also one that is very difficult to cure and can take years to fix, or even manage.

I personally am still on a journey to improve my own condition, but I am thankfully in a much better place than I was when I first sought help. Unfortunately, there are too many people still stuck where I was years ago, trapped inside their own mind and too afraid or ashamed to get the help required.

It’s amazing how many people open up to me and admit their own mental health issues once I share mine first. There are so many people out there desperate to talk to someone, even if it’s just to get something off their chest, but they won’t do it without some help first.

I am so lucky I never quite got to the place where I actually attempted suicide, but I admit I certainly was close to that point. I am also lucky to have an amazing family and group of friends who have supported me through my own battles and journey. Many people aren’t as fortunate as I am in terms of their support system and also financially to get the help required. But that doesn’t mean they can’t get help or improve their situation. Sometimes all it takes really is asking if someone is ok.

So please, if you yourself are struggling with mental health issues or you think you know someone who might be, take a step in the right direction, even if it’s a baby step. Ask someone for help/ask if they are ok.

There are some great initiatives out there like R U Ok?Day and all the great things beyondblue do. There are others as well. But it still comes back to us to improve ourselves and improve the way society views these things.

I hope it won’t be long before the stigma around mental illness is gone forever, but until then all I can do is my best to get the message out there and talk to anyone I can who needs me.

If you would like to contact me personally and are not a Facebook friend/don’t have my number, you can email me at danielcousens@gmail.com.

Take care out there. I hope you’re ok.

14 comments:

  1. So lets call a spade a spade here. I have very little interest in sport and don’t like to read so I have had limited opportunities to become a ‘platinum member’ of this blog. Everyone has their vices, their daemons if you will. DC has just come out about his and it seems only fitting that a few others jump on the band wagon, so here I go because after a simple line said to me at the end of a very basic meeting, I’m feeling pretty shit right now.

    Just over a year ago I had the pleasure in meeting Darren Flanagan, the rescuer from the Beaconsfield Mine disaster and spokesperson for R U OK? He was a true inspiration, and it wasn’t until I got to know him both personally and through listening to him as speaker at a conference that I realized that things I have been feeling are perhaps deeper than me needing
    to ‘harden up’. As Daniel says its very easy to think that softness is the issue, as there is no ‘norm’ to compare to.

    Shortly after this presentation I went to see my doctor for a check-up and following consistency with high blood pressure he decided to put me on medication that reduces anxiety. It has worked to a degree. During my last appointment a few weeks ago it was still high. I described to him some of the stresses I’ve been going through and he suggested I go and speak to a psychologist.

    I don’t have OCD, and I know that my anxiety is nothing like DC’s, but it’s enough to have me wake up in a panic in the middle of the night and have me check my emails to check that my work operations in Europe are running smoothly. At times I stop myself from keeping my phone from my bed, to only find excuses to get up in the middle of the night to check it. I would struggle to sleep if I kept my phone downstairs. This isn’t healthy. Running downstairs at 7am to check numbers on a spread sheet is not a fun way to start the day. If its not numbers, its ensuring a communication is passed on. Is it something that can wait a few hours? Absolutely. Is this something I can justify to myself at 7am? Not a chance.

    My biggest highs are often followed by my biggest low’s. I guess you could say I’m a natural joker….the ‘funny guy’. I love having a good laugh, nothing makes you feel better, but it’s the low after the high that can be nothing short of painful. Roll in the paranoia & over-sensitivity! Possibly my biggest vice. Will my dinner guests taste the burnt part of my bolognaise because I was too lazy to get up and stir it? Has a joke I have made that has brought me to the highest of highs actually upset someone? Is my wife not answering her phone because she has been hit by a tram? Most people have a laugh if I suggest these things, but the fact is some of these things (and worse) go through my head on a daily basis. I have planned out a number of end-to-end business & career strategies based on complete paranoia. This is not healthy.

    tbc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add into that the way people speak to me, sometimes as simple as what they say, but more often how they say it. People who bark commands at me can quite frankly get stuffed, because the moment you put me down, it’s going to take me little while to get myself back up to get my head back on track. Colleagues have told me that I sulk, I’m not sulking, I’m feeling depressed, and usually because of something someone has said to me, so either help pick me up, or leave me to do it by myself. I see little place for macho; particularly fake insecure macho in the work place.

    I’m blessed to have a loving wife, a caring family & friends, and as of later this week an adorable puppy. All of that said I do like time to myself and think it is very important. Unfortunately I also have those around me that grate at my vices, I assume unwillingly, and whilst its simple enough to say ‘just talk to them about it’, its not always that simple – and this is coming from someone who isn’t ‘backward in coming forward’.

    I can’t say if I am on a journey of improving my condition. I don’t yet know that I have one, but I do know that there have been things in recent months that have certainly highlighted what I can and cannot handle as well as where I do and do not want to be and the people I do and don’t want to be around (I’ll let you know if you don’t make the cut). The good news is, is that I do want to be on this earth (breath out people), and the other things are elements which I’m just going to have to deal with one step at a time, and perhaps with a little help as per my doctors advise. Its not always that easy to simply cut people out, the reality is we have to co-habilitate as best as possible, it’s a matter of how we channel these people.

    Now a condition I may or may not have should dictate that spending the last 20 minutes writing this has been time out of my day which I could have used to do things that I then wouldn’t have to be anxious about at 7am tomorrow, but as a massive advocate of sustainable business practice (no not the greeny shit), I feel as though this has been 20 minutes well invested, particularly if DC now see’s that his brother in law isn’t wired completely differently


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly relate to many situations you've just described, the highs and the lows; the over analysing, the anxiety.Well done for communicating it so well.

      Delete
    2. I feel most of what you're describing here on a regular basis. Nice (in a way...) to know I'm not quite alone. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. if you guys ever want to talk feel free to email me jjgoodman122@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. We are all often confronted with some form of anxiety or depression. It's impact will depend on the context of the trigger in our daily lives - at work, home, with family or elsewhere. The lucky ones are supported by those around us that act as a formal or informal support group and let's not forget our resilient friends. Your writing is a brilliant reflection of life and worthy of a huge award. It's a great blog and we all appreciate your honesty and humility. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog entry is a credit to you Daniel, your honesty, integrity and caring nature are clearly displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Daniel. You are very brave for putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard in this case) and coming clean about your own struggles. I agree 100% that men need to realise that if they are having some issues, it isn't always a case of needing to harden up.

    I do however want to say that as someone who has dealt with mental illness my entire life, I do not believe asking someone simply if they are ok will really change anything. As I am sure you know from experience, when people ask us if we are ok we do our best to suppress and hide any feelings we are having. We work our darn hardest to act 'normal' when we don't even know what normal is. For those that truly have this illness, asking us if we are ok will do nothing and that is why it is up to people like us to speak up and share our stories because only then will others come forward and realise help is out there because we are proof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Daniel,

    Good on you. My Mom had some very serious mental health issues. It was always so difficult for others to understand, even her parents. I'm so glad that people have a better understanding today than they did 15 or 20 years ago. I'm glad you have such a great family to be there for you.

    Thank you for writing this. Hope you are doing well.

    Karie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, thank you for spreading the word about mental illness. As a nation we have swept it under the carpet and it is people such as yourself that are changing that. Bravo.
    It takes a lot of guts to "concede defeat" and seek professional help when you know you haven't quite got it together anymore, and until you can rationalise taking that step, there are other more "private" things one can do.
    I would recommend checking out Dr Russ Harris on the net. He has authored several books and the two I would recommend reading in your own private time are "The Reality Slap" and "The Happiness Trap". Basically, they are books about modifying your coping mechanisms. They are simple techniques and an easy read. They may just give a person the incentive to seek professional assistance so that they can use Harris' techniques correctly in coping with the highs and lows of life. I too am in therapy and the most surprising revelation has been how logical and easy it is to alter your perspective on life and your perception of what is going on around and you and in your head.
    I strongly believe that these techniques should be taught to our children in the education system. Western culture is possibly the only culture in history that hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel - Sounds to me like you're well on the way to recovery - good for you.

    At the risk of generalising, men are not great communicators, especially when it comes to feelings. As a wife and sister to 2 big strong blokes, I am constantly pressing the issue of staying mentally and emotionally healthy.

    Reading about other strong blokes coming to terms with their own issues is bound to be of help.

    So thank you for this post!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Daniel. I don't think we have met before, I am Michael and I happen to cross across our blog and was very intrigued by this post.

    I too have suffered from mental problems. My main issue being the fact that I could not take responsibility at all which is why I had to quit my job. I later discovered that for me to over come this issue I would have to take steps towards going back to a full time job which I use to have. I started with little chores at home and later moved up to a job at a supermarket bagging groceries, it felt good. I am now back to my old job working hard, some days are harder than other but I live and I owe it all to my therapist, my parents for supporting me and friends for supporting me. What are your goals over the next couple of years? I am so glad we are both healing and that we can now make people aware of mental issues and the fact that it is not weak to ask for help.

    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete